The church of Christ has existed for nearly 2000 years. The church, which is Christ’s kingdom on the earth, had its beginning in the first century on the day of Pentecost, a feast of the Jews. This came about just ten days after Jesus ascended into heaven. The establishment of the church was recorded in the Bible in Acts, where we read that on the first day about 3,000 received the word preached by the apostles and were baptized (Acts 2:36-41).
The Bible records that the church had its beginning in the city of Jerusalem (Acts 2:5,14). Before Jesus’ ascension to the Father, He told His apostles to wait for Him in Jerusalem until they received power from above, which was the power given to them by the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-8). Though the Lord’s church began in Jerusalem, Jesus instructed His followers to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every person (Mark 16:15). It is God’s will that there be congregations of His church throughout the whole world. In God’s sight there is only one spiritual body– His church, over which he is the head (Ephesians 1:22,23; Ephesians 4:4).
It was not founded by any man, but by the Lord Himself. The Bible says, “Except the Lord built the house; they labor in vain that built it” (Psalm 127:1). The sole founder of the church was Jesus Christ, for He said, “Upon this rock I shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Mathew 16:18).
Preachers and the approximate dates they worked with this congregation.
From 1945 through January 2000, the church met at 126 Wetmore Street.
- W. A. Ward -- 1944 (City Hall)
- W. A. Ward -- 1945 (126 Wetmore Street)
- Aubury Mercer -- 1947
- Roy Lanier -- FL College trainee
- Connie Adams -- FL College trainee
- Roy Dicks -- FL College trainee
- M.R. Caldwin -- FL College trainee
- Robert Oliver -- 1954-1956
- Wayne Sullivan -- 1956-1957
- Robert McAnnally -- 1957-1959
- Ron Henderson -- 1959-June 1960
- Hugh Davis -- July 1960-June 1964
- Ross Saunders -- July 1964-June 1965
- Horace Hartsell -- July 1965-June 1966
- Charles Murray -- July 1966-June 1980
- Ron Ledhe -- July 1980-Nov. 1984
- Jim Grotts -- Nov.1984-
- Gary Hargis -- Dec.1984-May1985
- Kevin Morrow -- June 1985-Oct.1987
- David Beck -- Nov.1987-July 1992
- Steve Locklair -- Aug.1992-July 1993
- Tommy Thornhill -- Aug. 1993-July 1999
- John Guzzetta -- Aug. 1999-Jan. 2000 (126 Wetmore Street)
- John Guzzetta -- Feb. 6, 2000–present (463 North Buck Moore Road)